I’ve been doing a lot of writing, editing and formatting lately. So much so, I’ve neglected other areas of my life, but…laundry will always be waiting for me, and dishes will eventually get washed and snow will cover the long grass soon enough.
I have many things in the works, so I thought I’d make record of them here.
2nd Edition of Shadows in the Stone
Many might ask, why a 2nd edition?
The answers are simple and complex. Here are several:
- I’ve grown immensely as a writer since 2012, when the book was first
released. I’d like to show off these new skills by improving the reader’s experience.
- I didn’t include a character list in the back of the book, and I’ve had several requests for one.
- The print version of the 1st edition had smaller text, and I wanted to enlarge it slightly to improve the reader’s experience. The 2nd edition also has a prettier layout, which is more appealing to the eye.
- The cover for the 1st edition was okay, but the 2nd edition cover is amazing.
- The second book in the series, Scattered Stones, is several thousand words longer, which bumped it up to a more comfortable 6 inches wide by 9 inches tall book. Shadows was 5.5 inches by 8.5 inches. I wanted all books in the series to be 6×9.
Revelation Stones Progress
The long-awaited 3rd book in the Castle Keepers series, Revelation Stones, is scheduled for release in May 2019. It is more than 32,000 words written, but I have a long way to go to see ‘the end’. It will finish off around 140,000 words.
My goal is to write about 50,000 of this in November during NaNoWriMo. I’ll provide updates on my progress here.
Project M – A New Series
Well, not really a new series, but…I’ll explain further when the project nears the end.
Project M stemmed from a writing assignment by my writers’ group. We were challenged to write a complete story between September 2018 and June 2019 following the basic acts (Act I, Act II, Act III) of story telling. We could choose to write a short story or novella, but I chose a full novel.
Brainstorming for ideas brought me to Willow, a character who first appears in Junior Corporal Sawney Cronin’s vignette. Digging further into this woman’s background, I found an interesting story that ties into the ancient dwarf legend told in Glen Tosh. This story begged to be written.
This series will not take flight for a few years as I want three books written before they are released. They will reveal many secrets behind the stories in the Castle Keepers series, so it is best to wait and avoid spoilers. This will have a series name of its own but will be a branch off the Castle Keepers series.
I am supposed to write 400 words a day of this story. In three days, I have 2218 words.
Word Count Updates
I will put updates of my word counts for both novels – Revelation Stones and Project M – in the right margin.
2 thoughts on “Writing Update”
Great to see it all laid out like this. Best of luck!
Thanks, Darlene. It helps me get it straight in my mind and keep me on track.